Monday, December 15, 2008

First Craft Sale!



Friday morning I had just enough time to check my e-mail before work and found myself equally delighted and shocked that I had been invited by my friend Betsy to to a craft show! The Soo Sweet Crafty and Bake sale had it's first go this past Saturday at the CW Lofts in Minneapolis, MN. I used my meager lunch break making a list of what to buy,organize, and make. After some frantic running around after work my dear friend Kelly came over to help. She created the hang tags and made this super-amazing sign for my table!!!


Went to bed way too late, woke up a little too late. My sister Karen met me at the lofts and had armed herself with coffee, chai, and scones for the both of us. Not a coffee drinker, but dang that Chai hit the spot that morning! The woman who was running the show, Jenny, was so kind and helped me out with a a portable clothing rack for my little outfits. And Ta Da, we had a table set up!





Betsy (Tart Design - please check it out! ) was set up next to me so we had a fab time chatting it up.



I had managed to score an excellent spot near the entry and across from the fireplace. Didn't exactly get toasty warm by it, but the ambiance was nice...



In all, it wasn't as crazy busy at No Coast, which I think draws in thousands of people, but I have to say I was very happy with how my sales turned out! I sold a couple of onesies, a dress, pinafore, two pincushions, and a couple sets of hairpins. In all, I learned some VERY valuable lessons for next time....



  1. Give yourself weeks and weeks to make things. I wish I had more on stock, but that was the situation.

  2. Don't do ANYTHING last minute. Granted this was the situation, but prepare far in advance.

  3. Have a friend help you get ready, set up, and be with you at the sale. Kelly was there to help me prepare, my sister to set up, and Betsy and I watched eachother's tables for our quick little "I gotta check out their stuff!" runs. Kelly also came by at the end of the evening to help me take stuff down.

  4. Bring food. Bring water. No exceptions.

  5. Use hang tags to price everything. Groupings of things (hairpins, pincushions for example) use a sign. I found cool little chalkboards at Michaels.

  6. Bring a calculator that works.

  7. Have a receipt book with carbon copies. I didn't have enough time to make an inventory list, but the carbon copy receipts helped me keep track.

  8. Have change on hand. Bills of $20's, $10's, $5's, and $1's. I didn't end up needing quarters as everything was rounded to the nearest dollar.

  9. I found an apron with pockets the most useful and safe way to hold onto my cash. I did take checks, but only with seeing and writing down the information from their driver's liscence.

  10. Have fun!!! Meet other crafters, talk to new customer's, enjoy seeing new products! I had a great time meeting some new people and learning a bit about who they are and their craft.

No comments: