Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A thing for vintage

Perhaps this will be made into something?


I don't know what it is about vintage goods but I love them. Put me in an antique store and while I love looking at dishes, painting, and just about anything show me a little tucked away corner of vintage sewing notions and the rare pile of fabric and I'm a kid in a candy shop! Spools or ribbon, cards of rickrack still in their packaging (the designs on the package enough are worth looking at), loops of old lace.....I love it all.

I can't bear to part with these yet


I also like finding vintage patterns. Children's patterns are especially cute because the designs are so intricate and well thought out. The downer however is that they are usually much more complicated than modern ones. Adult patterns are easier to come by but to find a size that fits a woman a size 8, 10 or larger is hard to find. Most vintage patterns come in one size only unlike modern ones that are broken up into 2-8 and 10-14/16. Don't look for your dress size, but rather your individual measurements lik
e bust and waist. If you can find something close but perhaps a little larger or maybe smaller, you can adjust the pattern and finished piece to fit you.


I'd like to think Sophia Loren
would have worn this



When looking at yardage it helps to remember that most fabric came about 33-36 inches wide, not 44". So generally you can get away with a little less than it requires, but check the directions for how they lay it out first. Also pre-wash your fabric! If it was made before the 1970's it has a very good chance it will bleed the colors. With trims you should try handwashing it, though lighter colors should be fine. Red's should be washed, don't mess with those..... You may be surprised - if you find a very old pattern - to come across one without any type on it what so ever! In that case look at the directions to see what each piece actually is and good luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice on using vintage patterns and fabric! I could see Sophiw Loren and Jackie O in that dress. Are you making one for yourself! Tres Chic!

Rachel said...

Yes, I hope to make something eventually. Need the right fabric though....