Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Woman of Honor Dress


My dearest friend had a beautiful outdoor wedding at her parents on a lake this fall. An amazing crafter, she created everything from the invitations to the boutonnieres. As the Matron of Honor I chose to make my dress and she and I picked out the fabric. I used Amy Butler's Lotus Dress pattern.


We also made a little shrug out of some knitted delicious orange fabric. After I put the dress together I decided it needed a belt to give me a little bit more of a waist. I found some great pumpkin orange velvet ribbon that did the trick and a leather belt loop.

In typical Rachel mode of operation I finished this the day before the wedding. Overall this was a great pattern to use. Butler's directions are very straightforward and takes you step by step. Where it could use improvements is by having more diagrams of some of the steps. I follow directions easier with visuals than with the written directions. If you do the same, a few steps may be a little frustrating. This was also my first lining and it went rather smoothly. A few tips:
  • Use the silky nylon lining, don't bother with cotton. You will want something that lays smoother under the dress.
  • When doing the lining on the top where the neckline meets the dress panels, hand sew it first to match it up.
  • Hand sew the hem. It looks 10 times nicer and gives a smoother finish at the bottom.
  • Try it on and adjust the darts. I did a few times and was able to get a better fit.






3 comments:

RJW said...

It looks fantastic, Rach!

Kelly said...

yeay!!!

that headband looks so cute- i wish it had made an appearance.

did you take any photos at the wedding? i'm dying to see some!!! it is true, now that we are back home and talking with people we are finding out more and more about what happened that day and why. still... i want photos (*hehehe*)

i'll be calling you soon. we got home a couple days early but it was still "honeymoon" to us and no work so we hid away and "nested". i work at 2, boo.

Anonymous said...

Rachel it's gorgeous! That belt is perfect! You are so clever. I've been eyeing that pattern and wondering if I could get it to fit over "the girls." Maybe I'll give it a go? It' looks liek it was made for you! (Duh...it was, you know what I mean, the cut.)